Mushroom Mutter Makhani
Hearty chunks of mushrooms and green peas replace paneer in this famous Punjabi recipe. You can choose any combination of vegetables to add to this rich tomato based makhani gravy. Serve with naans or parathas to make it a completely gratifying meal.
Preparation Time: 10 mins.
Cooking Time : 20 mins.
2 cups mushrooms (khumbh), quatered and blanched
1 cup boiled green peas
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi)
2 tbsp fresh cream
1/4 tsp garam masala
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
2 tbsp oil
salt to taste
For the garnish
1 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
For the paste
- Combine all the ingredients in a pan with ¼ cup of water and cook till the tomatoes and onions soften.
- Cool and purée the mixture in a blender to make a paste.
- Strain the paste and keep aside.
How to proceed
- Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds.
- When they crackle, add the onions and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the strained paste, chilli powder, coriander seed powder and turmeric powder and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cream, garam masala, sugar and kasuri methi with ¼ cup of water and simmer for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the salt, mushrooms and peas and bring it to a boil.
- Serve hot, garnished with the coriander.