A delectable preparation of cashew paste cooked to perfection in cardamom-flavoured sugar syrup, you could serve the cashew barfi for dessert garnished with a few strands of saffron, or use it as a base for more elaborate preparations. Make sure you get the consistency of the sugar syrup right, and there is nothing else to worry about in this recipe.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Makes 1 cup
1 cup (100 grams) broken cashewnuts (kaju)
1/2 cup (50 grams) sugar
1/4 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
- Soak the cashewnuts in warm water for about 30 minutes and wash them 2 to 3 times.
- Drain all the water out and blend the cashewnuts to a fine paste. Keep aside.
- Dissolve the sugar in 1/2 cup of water and prepare a syrup of one string consistency.
- Add the cashew paste and cook over a medium flame, stirring continuously till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan (approx. 5 to 7 minutes).
- Transfer to a plate and cool slightly. Keep aside.
- Use as required.
Recipe Source: Cashew Barfi