The Arabs call these sprouts ‘the father of all foods’! Sprouts are fortified with good amounts of nutrients making it a super healthy food. This sandwich cuts down on the second slice of bread, as it is an open sandwich. Colorful peppers, olives, sprouts, tomato and cheese baked on a footlong make it an extremely tasty meal!
Preparation Time: 15 mins Cooking Time: 9 mins Makes 4 open sandwiches
6 tbsp alfa-alfa sprouts
1 whole wheat footlong bread (2”)
1 medium yellow capsicum
1 medium red capsicum
1 medium green capsicum
2 1/4 tsp olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
12 tomato slices
2 tbsp deseeded and sliced black olives
1 tsp dried oregano
salt to taste
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp grated mozzrella cheese
To Be Mixed Into A Marinade
- Pierce the yellow capsicum with a fork, brush it using ¼ tsp of olive oil evenly over it and roast it over an open flame till it turns black from all the sides.
- Cool, wash it in cold water and remove the skin, stem and seeds and discard them. Cut the capsicum into thin slices and keep aside.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 for red and green capsicum.
- Combine the roasted green, yellow and red capsicum slices, remaining 1½ tsp of olive oil, salt and a little pepper powder in a bowl and mix well.
- Divide the capsicum mixture into 4 equal portions and keep aside.
- Cut the footlong bread into 2 pieces from the centre and then cut each piece into 2 halves horizontally. You will get 4 bread halves of 6” each in all.
- Place all the 4 bread halves on a flat, dry surface and core the inner side of each halve so as to form a slight depression.
- Spread ¼th of the marinade evenly on each bread halve.
- Place a portion of the capsicum mixture in the depression of each bread halve and arrange 3 tomato slices over it.
- Place 1½ tbsp of alfa-alfa sprouts and ½ tbsp of black olives evenly on each bread halve.
- Sprinkle ¼ tsp of oregano, a little salt and ¼ tsp of pepper powder on each bread halve.
- Top each bread halve with ½ tbsp of cheese and bake them in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.