Get wind of a Gujarati secret that is passed on from grandma’s memory. A mildly-flavoured snack, Cauliflower Bhanolu uses coconut milk as the primary ingredient. With a little help from your handy kitchen helper, the microwave oven, this recipe can be prepared in minutes.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 9 mins
Makes 4 servings
1 1/2 cupscoconut milk
6 tbsp besan (bengal gram flour)
1 1/4 cups finely chopped cauliflower florets
1 tbsp ginger-green chilli paste
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
salt to taste
3 1/4 tsp oil for greasing and tempering
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- Combine the coconut milk and besan in a bowl and mix well to make a smooth paste.
- Add the cauliflower, ginger-green chilli paste, sugar, lemon juice and salt, mix well and keep aside.
- Grease a 150 mm. (6”) diameter microwave safe baking dish using ¼ tsp of oil.
- Pour the batter in it and tilt it clockwise to spread the batter evenly. Keep aside.
- Put the remaining 3 tsp of oil for the tempering in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida and microwave on high for 1 minute. Pour the tempering on the batter in the baking dish. Cover and microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- Uncover and microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Divide it into 4 equal portions and serve immediately.