Here is a great way to convert last night’s leftover rice into a healthy breakfast! Cooked Rice Pancakes are made with a batter of cooked rice bound together with besan. The addition of veggies brings in crunch along with nutrients while green chillies and coriander add a flavourful touch. Serve with coriander green garlic chutney for a filling breakfast that will keep you going for hours.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Makes 10 pancakes
2 cups leftover cooked rice (chawal)
5 tbsp grated carrot
5 tbsp finely chopped spring onions whites and greens
1/2 cup shredded cabbage
1/4 cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
1/2 cup besan (bengal gram flour)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
2 tbsp low-fat curds (dahi)
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
salt to taste
5 1/4 tsp oil for greasing and cooking
coriander green garlic chutney
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well to make a batter of dropping consistency using enough water.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it using ¼ tsp of oil.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on it and spread into a circular motion to make a 100 mm. (4″) diameter circle.
- Cook on both sides, using ½ tsp of oil, till it turns golden brown in colour.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 to make 9 more pancakes.
- Serve hot with coriander green garlic chutney.
RECIPE SOURCE : Cooked Rice Pancake by Tarla Dalal