Beetroot, Cucumber and Tomato Raita
A rich and luscious raita with a variety of ingredients. The peppy taste of coriander and green chillies complements the crunchy feel of peanuts and coconut in the beetroot, cucumber and tomato raita, while a tempering of cumin seeds and asafoetida gives out appetising whiffs!
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 0.25 mins
Makes 6 servings
1/4 cup boiled , peeled and chopped beetroot
1/2 chopped cucumber
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 cups whisked fresh curds (dahi)
salt to taste
2 tsp powdered sugar
2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
3 tbsp roughly chopped peanuts
1/4 cup freshly grated coconut
1/4 cup finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- Combine the beetroot, cucumber, tomatoes, curds, salt, sugar and green chilies in a deep bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 15 seconds.
- Pour this tempering over the raita and mix well.
- Add the peanuts, coconut and coriander and mix well.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Serve chilled.
Recipe Source: Beetroot, Cucumber and Tomato Raita