Here is a mousse with a desi dimension to it! thandai mousse would be appropriate for occasions like holi and other indian festivals or get-togethers. The rich ingredients like almonds, khus-khus and cardamom that are present in the thandai syrup give a slightly spicy touch to this mousse.
Setting Time: 3 hours
Preparation Time: 5 mins
Cooking Time: 7 mins
Makes 2 glasses
2 tbsp thandai syrup , readily available in the market
5 gms agar-agar (china grass) , blended into a smooth powder
1 cup milk
2 tbsp sugar
3/4 cup beaten whipped cream
1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Combine the agar-agar, 1/2 cup of water and milk in a deep pan and bring to boil, while stirring continuously.
- Add the sugar and thandai syrup, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame and strain the mixture using a sieve.
- Transfer the mixture into a steel bowl and place the bowl in a deep vessel filled with ice-cubes for 8 to 10 minutes or until the mixture cools and thickens. Whisk the mixture vigorously and continuously till it is in ice-cube vessel to avoid any lump formation.
- Add the beaten whipped cream and fold gently.
- Add the lemon juice and fold gently.
- Pour equal quantities of the mixture into 2 individual bowls / glasses and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours or till the mousse sets.
- Garnish with pistachios and saffron and serve chilled
Recipe Source: Thandai Mousse