Cabbage Paneer Koftas in Makhani Gravy
Cornflour and low fat milk imparts a creamy texture to this delectable gravy without adding on extra calories. Serve with steaming hot rice for a perfect Sunday lunch!
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 25 mins
Makes 4 servings
For The Cabbage Paneer Koftas
1/2 cup finely chopped cabbage
1/4 cup grated low fat paneer (cottage cheese)
2 tbsp besan (bengal gram flour)
1 green chilli , finely chopped
1/8 tsp salt
For The Makhani Gravy
3 cups chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 tsp finely chopped garlic (lehsun)
1 tsp finely chopped ginger (adrak)
2 cloves (laung / lavang)
1 stick of cinnamon (dalchini)
1/4 cup chopped red pumpkin (bhopla / kaddu)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/4 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cornflour dissolved in 1/2 cup low fatmilk
1 tsp oil
1/4 tsp salt
For the cabbage paneer koftas
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and shape each portion into an even sized small round.
- Steam the koftas for 8 to 10 minutes in a steamer or microwave them for 5 to 7 minutes. Keep aside.
For the makhani gravy
- Combine the tomatoes, onions, garlic, ginger, cloves, cinnamon and red pumpkin with ¾ cup of water and cook over a slow flame till the vegetables are soft.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely. Remove the cinnamon and cloves and discard them.
- Blend to a smooth purée in the blender. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the kasuri methi and chilli powder and sauté for a few seconds. Add 1 tablespoon of water if the chilli powder begins to burn.
- Add the puréed tomato mixture, sugar and salt and bring to a boil.
- Add the cornflour mixture to the prepared gravy. Simmer for a few minutes till the gravy thickens. Keep aside.
How to proceed
- Just before serving, reheat the gravy, slide the koftas into the gravy and bring to a boil.
- Serve hot.
Recipe Source: Cabbage Paneer Koftas in Makhani Gravy