A normal khichdi recipe when flavoured with coconut milk, coriander and mint, morphs into an interesting thai style sanwa recipe. Serve hot, immediately, with lemon wedges for an extra zing.
Soaking time: 1 hour
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
1 1/2 cups sanwa millet (sama)
2 tbsp oil
3 cups coconut milk
4 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
rock salt (sendha namak) to taste
4 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves (phudina)
1/2 tbsp finely chopped green chillies
- Clean, wash and soak the samwa millet in enough water for 1 hour. Drain well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the sanwa millet and sauté on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, ½ cup of water and rock salt and mix well.
- Cover and cook on a slow flame, while stirring occasionally, till all the liquid is absorbed and the sanwa millet is cooked. Add a little water if required.
- Add the coriander, mint leaves and green chillies and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with lemon wedges and peanut kadhi / yam raita.
Recipe Source: Minty Sanwa