Zunka is ideal for these who love their food spicy. A Maharastrian speciality, this dish is generally served with Bhakri and onions but you may also enjoy it with rotis if you do not care for Bhakri.
Preparation Time: 10 mins.
Cooking Time: 20 mins.
1 1/4 cups besan (Bengal gram flour)
2 cups chopped onions
1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
2 tsp chopped ginger
2 tsp garlic, chopped
1 tsp chopped green chilli
2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1/2 cup chopped coriander (dhania)
2 tbsp oil
salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Add the cumin seeds, asafoetida and onions and cook till the onions are tender.
- Add the ginger, garlic and green chilli and cook for some more time.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, Bengal gram flour and salt and cook over a slow flame till the flour is lightly browned.
- Add 2½ cups of water, stirring continuously, till the Bengal gram flour thickens and leaves the sides of the pan. Cook over a slow flame for 4 to 5 minutes till the besan smells cooked.
- Add the coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Recipe Source: Zunka