Arhar Aur Tamatar Ka Shorba
A modified version of the traditional mulligatawny soup, this recipe features a medley of flavours that your taste-buds will delightedly dive into! what is more, it is also convenient to make as you can make the masala beforehand.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Makes 4 servings
For The Masala
1 tsp coriander (dhania) seeds
2 whole dry kashmiri red chillies , broken into pieces
3 to 4 peppercorns (kalimirch)
1 tsp masoor dal (split red lentil) (split red lentils)
1/2 tsp chana dal (split bengal gram)
a pinch cumin seeds (jeera)
4 to 6 curry leaves (kadi patta)
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
7 to 8 curry leaves (kadi patta)
4 tomatoes , blanched and puréed
1/4 cup cooked toovar (arhar) dal , whisked
1/2 tsp chilli powder
salt to taste
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- Heat a small non-stick pan, add all the ingredients and dry roast on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes. Keep aside.
- When cool blend in a mixer to a fine powder. Keep aside.
How to proceed
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves, tomato purée, 2 cups of water, toovar dal, chilli powder, prepared masala and salt; mix well and bring to a boil.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Recipe Source: Arhar Aur Tamatar Ka Shorba