This simple and delicious recipe is a real treat for weight watchers. Chaklis, the popular indian snack, is usually deep-fried and contains loads of calories. Here’s how to make them with 1 tsp of oil to near perfection by baking them in an oven. Munch them at anytime of the day when hunger strikes.
Preparation Time: 5 mins
Baking time: 35 to 40 minutes.
Baking Temperature: 180°C (360°F)
Makes 30 chaklis.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, mix well and knead into a semi-soft dough using enough water.
- Put the mixture into a chakli press and press out round swirls of the dough onto a greased baking tray, working closely from the centre to the outside to the swirls (approximately 50 mm. (2″) diameter). You will get about 30 chaklis.
- Bake these chaklis in a pre-heated oven at 180°c (360°f) for 30 to 35 minutes, turning all the chaklis once after 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool and store in an air-tight container.
Handy tip :
- Adding 1 tbsp of oil instead of 1 tsp in this recipe reduces the cooking to 25 minutes and also makes the chakli a little softer.
Recipe Source: Baked Chaklis (Low Calorie) by Tarla Dalal