Bengali-style khichdi is aromatic and also laden with veggies and dal. In short, it is a flavoursome and power-packed meal. The use of crushed spices instead of whole or powdered ones brings about a significant change in the recipe – you will notice it when you prepare the khichdi. Serve hot.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 25 mins
Makes 6 servings
1 cup rice (chawal) , soaked and drained
1/2 cup masoor dal (split red lentil)
3 tbsp ghee
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
2 tsp ginger-garlic (adrak-lehsun) paste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1/2 cup green peas
1/2 cup french beans , cut into 1” pieces
6 to 7 small onions , peeled
4 to 5 baby potatoes , peeled
2 1/2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
salt to taste
- Heat the ghee in a non-stick handi, add the bayleaves and the ground powder and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, rice and masoor dal, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add 3½ cups of hot water, green peas, french beans, onions, potatoes, green chillies and salt, mix well and cook on a slow flame for atleast 20 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with buttermilk, salad, pickle and papad.
Recipe Source: Khichdi-Bengali Style by Tarla Dalal