Colourful and tasty. If fresh corn is not available, use one small can of corn instead.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Makes 4 servings
1 cup grated sweet corn kernels (makai ke dane)
1 tbsp yellow moong dal (split yellow gram)
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp finely chopped onions
salt to taste
2 tbsp finely chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup shredded spinach (palak)
1 tbsp cornflour dissolved with 2 tbsp cold
1/2 tsp lemon juice
freshly ground black peppercorns to taste
- Combine the sweet corn, yellow moong dal and 2½ cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the butter in a deep kadhai, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared corn-moong dal mixture, ¼ cup of water, salt, tomatoes and spinach, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cornflour-water mixture and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the lemon juice and pepper powder and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Recipe Source: Corn and Dal Soup by Tarla Dalal