Stylish, peppy khichdi! layer the khichdi with fried onions, rice, dal and the gravy. While making the gravy, remember to add curds after switching off the gas to avoid curdling. Serve hot with curds to enjoy a totally scrumptious meal.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 17 mins
Makes 4 servings
To Be Ground Into A Smooth Paste (using A Little Water)
1/2 cup roughly chopped onions
4 clove garlic (lehsun)
2 green chillies , roughly chopped
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
5 whole dry kashmiri red chillies
For the gravy
- Heat the ghee in a non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medioum flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the prepared paste, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the garam masala, sugar and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Switch off the flame, add the curds and mix well. Keep aside.
How to proceed
- Combine the rice, dal and salt in a bowl and mix well. Divide into 2 equal portions and keep aside.
- Combine the onions and oil in a microwave safe plate and microwave on high for 4 to 5 minutes or till the onions turn crispy.
- Grease a microwave safe bowl with ghee, spread ½ the fried onions then ½ the rice evenly over it.
- Pour all the prepared over it and spread it evenly.
- Spread the remaining rice on it and spread it evenly.
- Finally sprinkle the remaining onions and milk over it. Cover it with a microwave-safe plate and cook in a microwave on high for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with curds.
Recipe Source: Bohri Khichdi by Tarla Dalal