Try this Moong Dal Savoury on this special day…
This savoury is very easy to make and great to serve for breakfast or even for parties.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Makes 12 savouries
For The Batter
3/4 cup yellow moong dal (split yellow gram)
2 tbsp fresh curds (dahi)
4 green chillies , roughly chopped
salt to taste
a pinch asafoetida (hing)
1 tbsp besan (bengal gram flour)
1/2 tsp baking powder
For The Green Peas Topping
1 1/4 cups boiled and mashed green peas
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
salt to taste
2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
1 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
oil for cooking
For the batter
- Soak the dal for at least 2 to 3 hours and drain well.
- Combine the soaked dal, curds, green chillies and ¼ cup of water and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste.
- Add the salt, asafoetida, besan and baking powder and mix gently. Keep aside.
For the green peas topping
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the green peas, salt and green chillies, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the dried mango powder and coriander and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
How to proceed
- Heat a greased non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it using a little oil.
- Pour a spoonful of the batter on the tava (griddle) and spread in a circular motion to make a 75 mm. (3”) diameter circle.
- Spread a little stuffing on it and press it gently.
- Cook on a slow flame for 1 to 2 minutes
- Turn it upside down and cook again for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture and stuffing to make 11 more savories.
- Serve hot with green chutney and sweet chutney.
- Prepare green peas stuffing 1 day in advance.
Recipe Source: Moong Dal Savoury by Tarla Dalal