Try this healthier version of the popular roadside snack Batata Vada by Tarla Dalal.
Batata vada, this popular street-food from western india has gained a place in the hearts of indians all over the country. Potatoes ensure that these vadas are filling, while the ginger, green chillies, coriander and lemon juice pep up the flavour, making your taste-buds crave for more, even when your tummy is brimful!
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 12 mins
Makes 6 vadas
For The Vadas
2 cups boiled , peeled and mashed potatoes
2 tsp oil
a pinch mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
4 to 5 curry leaves (kadi patta)
a pinch asafoetida (hing)
1 1/2 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
1 tsp garlic (lehsun) paste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
1 tsp lemon juice
salt to taste
3/4 tsp oil for cooking
For the vadas
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the ginger-green chilli paste and garlic paste and again sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the potatoes, turmeric powder, coriander, lemon juice and salt, mix well cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes. Keep aside to cool.
For the batter
- Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl, add enough water to make a batter of pouring consistency. Keep aside
How to proceed
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and shape them into flat round wadas. Keep aside.
- Dip each vada in the batter and place them in a hot broad non-stick pan.
- Cover and cook on a slow flame for 3 to 4 minutes, using 1/8 tsp of oil.
- Turn upside down, cover again and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes or till they turn golden brown in colour.
- Serve hot with dry garlic chutney or whole wheat pav.
Recipe Source: Batata Vada by Tarla Dalal