Make this popular French Onion Soup and leave your comments…
Did you know that this classic soup in its original form dates back to the roman times?! the classic soup experienced a renaissance of sorts thanks to french cuisine. The trick here is to chop the onions really fine. Cheese thickens the broth while mustard imparts a heady, pungent flavour. French onion soup is always served by pouring ladles of soup over a cheese crouton placed in a bowl. This soup is delectable and worth trying. Enjoy!
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 10 mins
Makes 4 servings
For the soup
- Heat the butter in a kadhai/ wok, add the onions and sauté on a slow flame for 3 to 4 minutes, or till they turn golden brown in colour
- Add 4 cups of water, cheese and salt, mix well and allow it to boil on a high flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the pepper powder and mustard powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
For the cheese croutons
- Toast the bread slices in a pop-up toaster.
- Cut each bread slice into 4 equal square pieces.
- Apply little butter on each bread piece and sprinkle a little cheese on top.
How to proceed
- Just before serving, place 2 cheese croutons in the centre of 4 individual bowls. Pour equal quantities of the soup in each bowl and serve immediately.